My Daughter

My Daughter
Remember when you learned how to do this?

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Pearls of Wisdom on Peak Oil

Today, I have put together a blog that is the cumulative utterances of a group of people who just don’t quite get it as yet. The only editing I have done is for spelling and pronouns; otherwise, it is unaltered.

I think the whole “Peak Oil” concept is full of shit. They seem to imply that a loss of oil as an abundant fuel source will cause a great collapse. I believe the loss itself will be insignificant. If we witness a decrease in the availability of oil it is doubtful it will be abrupt. The USA has a lead in technology and military forces which should allow us to control the sea lanes and the relative availability of energy. Alternative energy sources will be developed. Inefficient machines can be improved. It is not logical to assume we will not.

It is cheaper to import and drill outside of the US, thus the decline in domestic production. Plus, in some cases, it is easier to refine... how many capped wells are in the US? It is far cheaper to drill in third world countries than here, unless the well will produce several million barrels—which is why they are drilling in selective offshore sites. Domestic oil production is down because someone else will pump it for cheaper. If you haven't seen this, you really need to open your eyes. It’s called strategy. We save the domestic oil for war.

If oil goes away or becomes expensive—then so what? It’s inflation. What does that have to do with me starving to death? The possibility that the supply of oil may be declining is insignificant in comparison to the infinite number of responses to that decline. It is unforeseen what scientific, socio/political and military responses will arise out of that decline. We can run out of oil in 5 years and it won't be a problem...something else will come along, that's what they fail to understand. We invent things as needed and wanted. The invention of nuclear power means that energy IS an infinite resource.

It would require a truly non-trivial investment, but we could eliminate our dependency on mined petroleum products completely and synthesize all that we need. It starts by growing enormous quantities of vegetable matter of any kind. Whatever grows in considerable bulk in a short time is ideal. The rest is organic chemistry. [Peak oil is] nonsense...we have all the oil we need for thousands of years in the form of coal.

And how about water for fuel? I think it is called a water fuel cell. I'll tell you all a story... I used to work in the Indy car series for about 12 years (btw they use methanol or as some say alcohol). About 8 to 9 years ago, a friend contacted me about a "new" team starting up to run Indy and they were sure they could win this race because they could run the whole race on about 2 gals of "fuel" so less pit stops, tires only.

He begin to explain to me about a guy that has invented a way to extract or make hydrogen from water and the byproduct from the burn in a combustion chamber was water, hence no environmental hazards...all this sounds to good to be true. I had to keep this to myself and the government would post guards at the garage doors at the speedway to prevent someone from stealing the technology, etc.

Well it never happened, because I was told that the oil industry is so big that it would cause so many to lose jobs, money, etc and the economy would be hurt. This technology exists now...can you imagine going from, say New York to California, and stopping at a rest stop to "piss" in your tank so you can go a few hundred more miles? Sounds kinda neat to me.

God help us all.

24 comments:

NeoLotus said...

You said it Monte, God help us all.

Prof. Goose said...

ah, but you forgot about the eyes glazing over like you're prosyletyzing to them like Jim Bakker (right after he got off of Jessica Hahn)...

...and then there's the *sigh*s of "I don't want to think about this" and "what can I do"...

Human psychology is the problem, sadly. When the sheep see $4/gal, then they may get it.

I'll not hold my breath though.

Bill said...

You forgot about the Religious Right. They aren't worried at all. It will all be over by then and the chosen will be rewarded.

Cool Hand Linc said...

Same stuff I hear all the time. Clueless!

Renaissance67 said...

H2 economy ..H2 energy ... is a hoax ... you made me lauph...

fixedgear said...

I guess I'll need some guns to guard my bikes. They should be hot commodities when the collapse happens.

midpath said...

Also don't forget the people who think the earth is always making more oil, just like a cow:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/crispin8.html

J said...

If you want these myths debunked, please email me - I have done it for several sites and blogs already. I have 25 years in the oil business, all over the world.

But to nutshell it - as I said on profgoose blog - until it is actually a crisis, nothing will change for the government or for Joe SixPack.

Mike said...

Wow the real American attitude speaks out in the first paragraph " The USA has a lead in technology and military forces which should allow us to control the sea lanes and the relative availability of energy" for me (not American) that is just typical, God help the rest of the world when the oil gets low in the tank, it will be F*** everybody else except America. I am from Europe with no axe to grind but I can see why the muslims want to sort out the USA.

theragtopguy said...

What a moron. Repeating the same crap over and over. Hydrogen will save us all. What bullshit.

Dr Strangelove said...

I was told to "think positively" by someone fed up with my ranting about the end of cheap oil/gas. All hail Tony Robbins, and God help us all.

Phil Plasma said...

I've just been introduced to peak oil in the last week or two, and even before being introduced to it, reading what this guy wrote would have made me cringe almost as much as it does now.

ChrisW said...

Amazing thought process. The logic used shows what we are up against. There is no silver bullet and the mere logistics and cost of implementing the next "energy" even if it existed today would require 10-20 years. Imagine replacing 200 million passenger vehicles and millions of trucks. Not to mention thousands of fueling stations. It is estimated that a hydrogen fueling network would cost nearly $500 billion and require decades to roll out nationwide. So, we can either plan for the demise of oil or blindly go like lemmings over the cliff when the end of oil comes.
Not to mention the fact that our dependency costs us $200 billion per year of which $40 billion goes to Saudi Arabia. That's enough to buy Cisco and Texas Instruments every year.

Chris Wolfe
Americans for Energy Independence
www.ei2025.org

Steve Austin said...

Enjoyable blog. Please visit my bankruptcy question blog.

startonline said...

Hi, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours fantastic blog.

I have a niche site. It pretty much covers free credit report.

Keep it up. I'll check back later im sure.

Shia Source said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the good work! I'll be sure to visit regularly.

Please visit my site if you get some time: Shia

1EightT said...

I enjoy reading the blog over here chevrolet chicago

prolegal said...

I enjoy reading the blog over here chevrolet corvette

Roberto Iza Valdes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roberto Iza Valdes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maggs said...

Very nice blog, please come check out my
pearl and designer jewelry site. Whether you are looking for a strand of pearls or other beautiful jewelry items, you can find them here.

STL said...

Very nice blog, please come visit my
pearl and designer jewelry site. Whether you are looking for South Sea Pearls or other beautiful jewelry items, you can find them here.

STL said...

Very nice blog, please come visit my
pearl and designer jewelry site. Whether you are looking for brand name perfumes or other beautiful jewelry items, you can find them here.

Maggs said...

I hope you will come visit NY City Jewelry a
pearl, designer jewelry, and fine perfume site. Whether you are looking for a strand of pearls or other beautiful jewelry items, you can find them here. We are real people with a Consulting GIA Jeweler to help you with your fine jewelry decisions.